If you’ve made your rounds through at least a few of the many fitness studios in LA, you’ve noticed that facilities and services vary greatly. Some studios have fully stocked locker rooms, free filtered water, free cycle shoes or rentals, towel service, etc. Other studios keep it simple and don’t offer a lot of the extras. Luxury amenities are wonderful, especially if you use ClassPass and aren’t necessarily paying more for the extra services. But don’t let the locker room determine where, when or if you work out! Below, you’ll find everything you need to pack to be prepared for just about anything.
- Clean workout outfit. Have enough clothes to get you through a week of workouts so you never have to wear dirty clothes or miss a workout because you couldn’t find something to wear because you’re late on laundry. Forever 21 has stepped up their activewear game! Sports bras for $15 and pants for $20 means you can have 5 or 6 outfits without breaking the bank. Add a tank and you’re good to go!
- Headbands/hair ties—nothing worse than sweating with your hair down.
- Socks and more socks. Have extra pairs on hand, especially if you don’t wear socks with your work shoes.
- Grip socks. They are often required for Pilates or barre. You don’t want to be stuck buying a new pair for $15 when you have some at home.
- Refillable water bottle. Save yourself $2-3 a workout. I love my bkr glass bottle.
- Pre-workout drink. MRM Driven is about as clean as “preworkout” drinks go. Most contain caffeine, so be careful if you’re consuming late in the day.
- BCAA supplement. Branched chain amino acids minimize the breakdown of protein, which protects your muscles. Protein shakes are already a good source of BCAAs, but if you don’t have time or access, supplement your pre or post-workout snack with these.
- Protein shake. I like ALOHA protein for its nutritional value and handy individual packets.
- Bars. LARABARS are a great choice when you are on-the-go.
- Post-workout outfit. Even if you are going straight home. Get out of your sweaty clothes as soon as possible. Your skin and the rest of your body will thank you.
- Deodorant, for obvious reasons.
- Small towel for sweaty classes and/or large towel for studios with showers.
- Lacrosse ball. It’s like having a super compact foam roller with you at all times.
- Makeup essentials. Whatever you can’t live without. Mascara, lip color and some powder are usually enough to pull it together after class.
- Travel size bottle of your favorite face lotion/serum.
- Body lotion.
- Shampoo, conditioner, body wash in case the studio doesn’t provide.
- Hair spray.
- Hair oil or leave-in conditioner. If you can’t wash your hair, remember to add moisture because sweat contains salt, which dries out your hair.
- Dry shampoo to absorb moisture at your roots and refresh your style.
- Comb or brush. Even if your locker room is fully stocked, this is usually one you don’t want to share.
- Baby wipes. A great no-shower alternative, plus they double as face wipes. I love the gentle wipes from The Honest Company.
- Febreze for your bag and shoes.
- Travel size fragrance.
Throw your sneakers, cycle shoes and a yoga mat in your trunk and you have everything you could possibly need!
About the Contributor: Since 2009, Kelly has been an in demand instructor, teaching indoor cycling, Cardio Barre, TRX and Pilates reformer classes throughout Southern California. She graduated from USC with a B.A. in History and a minor in Neuroscience. As a Celiac, she has a wealth of gluten-free cupcake knowledge that she is willing to share. Kelly is the lucky owner of a very cuddly rescued red nose pitbull named Napoleon Bone-a-parte. She prides herself on her cycle playlists so much that she’s pondered quitting fitness altogether to pursue a career as a DJ. Not really, but those playlists though…
Check out one of her classes at Bespoke Premium Cycling Studio, Dragonfly Cycling, or Cardio Barre|Beverly Hills, Woodland Hills, Studio City, and DTLA. All available through ClassPass.
One thought on “The No Excuses Gym Bag: Be Prepared for Anything”
I need to get on your level! My gym bag is so sad right now! Great post.